Sunday, February 21, 2010

An Experiment in Cheesemaking

First--I know I have been posting pretty sporadically so far….I am going to try and post more regularly going forward (more for myself than for my currently non-existent readers :P ). The other day I mentioned a blog post I came across this week detailing how to make homemade goat cheese. Jason and I tried our hand at this fun project this afternoon to great success!

Given that all the details on how to make the yummy, creamy, cheesy goodness can be found on the Serious Eats website, I won’t go into that here (because as Jason said earlier tonight, doing so would be a little like “a snake eating its tail”). But I did take a few pictures of the process which can be found below.

 

  
We added grated garlic, dill, and parsley to our goat cheese

 


 

Verdict? A very mild but still tasty goat cheese with an amazing texture—soft and creamy almost like a spread. This would be great on a sandwich (maybe this one??) but equally good on crackers. Next time I make it, I might add more garlic, more dill, and some lemon zest. You could really get creative with this!

Oh, and the goat’s milk was not that hard to find…Jason swung by our local Whole Foods to pick some up while I was out performing my first act as Matron of Honor for my friend Lauren’s wedding (i.e. looking at wedding and bridesmaid dresses).  Unfortunately, all they had available was the ultra pasteurized version (which the recipe specifically said to avoid if possible) but I still think it turned out well.

No comments:

Post a Comment