Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Perfect Pear

For a long time I did not eat pears. At all. I think it stems from all the canned pears I had as a kid-- there is just something about the texture that I could not overcome. So I was convinced that I just didn't like pears--canned, fresh, or otherwise. But as I've gotten older I've started revisiting those foods that used to be on the "do not like" list. For the most part I have outgrown my childhood food prejudices (although a few do still remain-- I still don't really like bananas in anything other than banana bread and I still think crab tastes too fishy. Oh and don't get me started on canned tuna--yuck!) While I probably wouldn't count pears among my favorite fruits of all time, I definitely like them in certain preparations. For example, I love a good roasted pear salad. Come on! Who wouldn't love pear halves stuffed with a combination of cheese, nuts, and dried cherries all of which is then roasted (and steamed) in a shallow bath of balsamic vinegar?! It's easy, it's delicious and versatile. Good enough to make even the pickiest, pear haters in the world convert.


Before going into the oven.


Roasted Pear Salad
Adapted from a couple of recipes

Ingredients:
2 ripe but firm Anjou Pears
Juice from one lemon
3-4 TBL crumbled goat cheese or blue cheese (most recipes call for blue cheese but Jason is not a fan so we use goat cheese-- just as good!)
2 TBL chopped walnuts
2 TBL chopped dried cherries
3 TBL Balsamic vinegar
1 1/2 TBL brown sugar
5 TBL olive oil
Arugula or other salad greens

1. Preheat the oven to 375. Peel pears and cut in half through the core. Use a spoon or melon baller to scoop out the core, making a cavity for the stuffing. Cut a sliver off the back so the pears sit straight. Place pear halves in a baking dish.
2. Pour lemon juice over pear halves to prevent them from turning brown.
3. Mix together goat/blue cheese, walnuts, and dried cherries in a small bowl. Spoon filling into pear cavities, mounding over the top.
4. In the same bowl you used to make the filling, mix together balsamic vinegar, brown sugar, and olive oil. Taste to make sure everything seems in proper proporition. Pour your makeshift vinaigrette over the pears and into the bottom of the dish.
5. Place into the oven and bake for about 15-20 minutes. Remove and cover with aluminum foil. Return to oven and cook for another 15-20 minutes or until pears are tender.
6. Place arugula or other salad greens on to plates. Spoon some of the balsamic vinegar over the greens and top with pears (two for an entree or one as a side).

2 comments:

  1. These look yummy! And I just bought some pears while grocery shopping tonight!

    p.s. I thought "vavity" was a really cool word, until I realized that you probably meant "cavity." Unless vavity is a word??

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Vavity" would be a cool word! But I did mean "cavity"-- it's been updated/edited to reflect actual words :)

    ReplyDelete