Saturday, June 18, 2011

Healthy Summer Burgers

After eating out for a week in Palm Desert, all I wanted last Sunday was to make something myself. Preferably something a little lighter and something relatively quick and easy (since I didn't want to spend my too much of my last evening before going back to work slaving away in the kitchen). I decided to try a recipe for salmon burgers that I had found in the June edition of Better Homes and Gardens-- one of the magazines I had purchased to take with me to on our trip (I was such a fan of the magazine that I decided to subscribe-- a two year subscription was only $16!).

The recipe was a cinch to make-- throw skinless salmon fillets, some breadcrumbs, an egg and some Dijon mustard in a food processor and then form into patties. Since we are still grill-less (hopefully for just another couple of months), I broiled ours and they turned out really well. I served them with sliced avocado on toasted ciabatta rolls with some oven-baked sweet potato "fries" on the side. Next time I might add in some fresh herbs or make a herby-yogurt spread to serve with them for a little extra flavor. Otherwise,  a delicious and easy summer meal.




Salmon Burgers
Adapted slightly from Better Homes and Gardens

(Note: I halved the recipe to accommodate the two of us but was still left with two pretty big burgers; the amounts below make more like three normal sized patties.)


Ingredients:
2 4-6 ounce fillets of salmon, skin removed and cut into two inch pieces
3 TBL bread crumbs
1  egg
1 TBL Dijon mustard
1 avocado, sliced
2 ciabatta rolls
olive oil

1. Preheat broiler.
2. Place breadcrumbs, egg, mustard, and half of salmon into a food processor. Process until salmon is ground and mixture is thoroughly combined. Add in remaining salmon and pulse until salmon is coarsely chopped. Shape mixture into 2-3 patties (see note above).
3. Brush patties lightly with olive oil. Broil 4-5 minutes per side until burgers are cooked through. Place ciabatta rolls, cut side up, onto broiler pan for last 1-2 minutes.
4. Serve salmon burgers on rolls with sliced avocado and additional mustard (if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment