Thursday, April 5, 2012

Place Your Bets

Tomorrow is the big day! Time for our 20 week scan and, hopefully, an opportunity to see our little cantaloupe (according to thebump which seems WAY too big...I might have to go with BabyCenter's banana for this week) and find out of it is a he or a she.

Even since before we started considering whether or not to have a baby, I knew that I wanted to find out ahead of time whether we would be having a boy or girl. It's not hard to understand why. I am a planner by nature and the thought of not knowing something so huge ahead of time is pretty hard for me to fathom. I also get a kick of knowing things as soon as I can. I like spoilers. I have a hard time not skipping ahead to the end of the book so I can see what happens. I was the kid that actively sought out my Christmas presents because I just couldn't wait until Christmas Day to find out what was going to be in those pretty packages. And, for me, knowing ahead of time doesn't ruin the surprise; in some ways it actually increases my enjoyment of them. So not finding out was never really an option....

Which is why it would be so totally ironic if our little banana-cantaloupe decided to be a little prude and hide his/her goods from us.

But I am going to spend too much time thinking about that. Instead, I am going to indulge in my need to figure things out ahead of time and make a prediction about whether our future baby is a boy or a girl. Ready?

I think we are having a boy!

Here are my mostly unscientific reasons:
1. As everyone knows from biology class, sex is determined by the father's, um, genetic material. And there is a paucity of females born into the paternal side of Jason's family. Jason has a brother. His father has two brothers. His grandfather may have had a sister. But other than that-- no girls. So clearly we are having a boy.

2.  We have pretty much settled on a girl's name that we both like but are having less luck coming up with a boy's name that we like and can agree upon. Obviously that means we are having a boy.

3. Pretty much everyone I know that has had a baby in the last year or is having one in the next 3-5 months is having a girl. Which means we are definitely having a boy.

4. The Chinese gender predictor has predicted we are having a boy...need I say more.

5. And, finally, for reasons I can't explain....I just really and truly think we are having a boy.

Jason, on the other hand, thinks we are having a girl.

One of us is right! But who will it be....find out tomorrow :)

1 comment:

  1. I always side with mother's intuition. You'll learn it is a VERY powerful tool, always trust it! That being said, I also agree with number 4, it hasn't been wrong yet for all the babies I've known and number 3 is equally as persuasive. Mix that with Sammy needs a friend whose a boy and I say you are team blue! I also couldn't wait to find out the sex. BS to the people who say that is the only surprise left in life. What about, what they look like, what their personalities are like, what foods they'll like, what they think is funny. I loved finding out early, it gave me more time to love on Sam as Sam. I had a feeling Sam was a boy because of what kind of foods I was liking (all Paul's nasty grease foods, pizza and burgers)!

    ReplyDelete