Friday, March 19, 2010

Count Me In

Like many of you, we received the 2010 Census in the mail the other day. For some reason, I found myself really excited about it. Maybe because it was the first time I received one to fill out and it made me feel a weird sense of importance. Maybe it was because as a newlywed it was the first time I was being officially asked about my new family. Maybe it was because I truly enjoy doing my civic duty.


I don’t know…maybe I am just weird.

Nothing says "I am the government and I am here to help" like the threat of legal retribution!

Regardless of the reason, I was excited. But I have to say now that I have filled it out and mailed it back in…it was kind of a letdown.


I don’t know what I was expecting it to ask (given that it is, in fact, designed to ascertain the number of persons living in a particular residence) but I thought it would be more than just name, gender, and race/ethnicity.

Oh well. At least I can sleep tonight knowing I, in my own small way, was a part of the process. That I am being counted.

No comments:

Post a Comment