Monday, June 21, 2010

287 Days

This weekend while I was shopping up a storm (more on that later), Jason was off on a canoe/kayak/camping trip with his father, younger brother, uncle, and cousin in West Virginia. This is becoming an annual outing for the men in Jason’s family and something Jason in particular looks forward to every year.  Not only does he get to spend some quality time with his brother and father, but he gets to practice his recently acquired whitewater kayaking skills.

He came home late last night with some great pictures and a bag full of stinky river clothes. One thing he did not come home with, however, was his wedding ring.


The New River near Beckley, WV...somewhere in its depths lies Jason's wedding ring

One minute it was on, the next it was gone, probably lost during a run down some rapids thanks to a combination of sunscreen and water which make for some slippery fingers.  It is probably on the bottom of the New River somewhere (unless a catfish got to it first).

 Look at him go!

Jason’s family members were worried that I would be mad. I actually wasn’t mad at all. Jason is not one to lose things (in the time we’ve known each other I can’t actually think of another thing he has lost) and while wearing an expensive piece of jewelry during  a day of physical activity might not have been the smartest thing to do in retrospect, he and I have both done it numerous times before.


If anything, I am a little sad to think that the ring that I gave him on our wedding day in front of all our friends and family will never be seen again. We will replace it, of course, but I wonder if the new ring will hold the same sentimental value as the ring that Jason wore for the first 287 days (give or take) of our lives together.  But then I remind myself that the ring is merely a symbol and that even though I am disappointed, all I felt was relief when the “really bad news” Jason had for me when he walked in the door last night was just a lost ring and that no one we love was hurt, sick or worse. At the end of the day, it is just a ring after all.

Also, sh*t happens. 

And now I don’t feel so bad about all the money I spent on new work clothes this weekend :)

1 comment:

  1. Hahaha! Great way to wind that story up. I, too, am super excited for you to be strutting around in designer power suits. My entire life, "working woman fashion" has been a major (perhaps THE major) draw to working an office job in an urban setting.

    Will you do me a favor and take pics in your fave new outfit?

    ReplyDelete