Friday, June 18, 2010

Dress for Success

Almost as soon as I made the decision to take a new job and return to life as an office worker I started thinking about one thing: clothes.  It has been three years since I had to go into an office every day and in that time I have purchased maybe 2-3 articles of work appropriate clothing. Sure, I have plenty of clothes hanging my closet left over from my previous office-going days but…come on! they are more than THREE YEARS OLD.

So I have decided to go on a mini-shopping spree this weekend to augment my current work wardrobe and bring it into 2010. Now I am trying to be very thoughtful about this so as not to waste money unnecessarily. To that end I have made a list of the things that I would like to find. My list of must-haves includes the following:
  • A couple of skirts, in particular I'd like a black or khaki (pencil?) skirt that I can mix and match with various tops
  • A variety of sleeveless tops, shells, and camis that I can layer with cardigans and blazers—most of what I currently have are on their last legs and/or not really appropriate for wearing on their own. Since I am going to be commuting via metro for at least the first few months at my new job (you know, during the dead of summer) I want lightweight tops that can stand by themselves as well.
  • At least one but maybe two blazers that I can mix and match with various skirts and pants (I have a lot of wintery blazers but not summer ones)
  • New pair of black heels, preferably ones that are comfortable enough to walk to/from the metro in
I’m also on the lookout for a v-neck cardigan or something that I can wear with a couple of sleeveless tops I already have ( see below)...for some reason they don’t look very good with the mainly crew-neck cardigans I already have—any suggestions?



Given the emails I’ve received recently about the sales at stores like Ann Taylor, Loft, Banana Republic, and J. Crew I’m hoping I’ll be able to find what I’m looking for without shelling out too much. Fortunately I have a gift card or two left over from my birthday and am about to start a new job with a new salary :)

I’ll let you know how it goes!

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I've always got thoughts on clothes.

    I think the key with the tops above is to choose cardigan necklines that don't compete: are either non-existent, like this:

    http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?assortmentId=6&itemNumber=41112&type=Product&assortmentDepartmentNumber=1010230

    or drop to a deep V, like this:

    http://www.boscovs.com/StoreFrontWeb/Product.bos?assortmentId=5&itemNumber=43685&type=Product&assortmentDepartmentNumber=1010230

    Why isn't Lauren getting in on this, by the way? We all know she has a great sense of style.

    ReplyDelete