Friday, October 29, 2010

I Have a Problem

My name is Lindsay and I am holiday-themed-cooking-magazines-aholic. Every year around this time when all the major food/cooking magazines start putting out Thanksgiving/holiday themed issues I go a little nuts.

Case in point:

Cook's Illustrated (subscription), Cooking Light, Food and Wine (subscription), Martha Stewart Living, and Everyday Food (subscription)

Yes, so far this year I have purchased (either through subscription or on the newsstand) five…FIVE!.... Thanksgiving/holiday themed magazine issues.

I know…it’s gross.

But I can’t help it…Thanksgiving is an important cooking/food holiday and the one I have looked forward to the most for many years. You see, my mom doesn’t like to cook and one year when I was in college she suggested that we (gasp) go out to eat for Thanksgiving. That was too much for me so I said if she didn’t want to cook, I would do it. So I planned my menu and made about 80% of the meal (my mom did pitch in with a few key dishes and helped do some of the prep work despite her aversion to the kitchen). And it got to be a tradition that I looked forward to. I loved researching recipes, creating a menu, and executing it from start to finish.

Things are a little different now that Jason and I are married; last year we went to his parents house for Thanksgiving which meant I had to relinquish my role as executive chef (as is the plan for this year too). Fortunately his mother has allowed me to bring a couple of dishes so I still get to indulge in my penchant for the Thanksgiving glossies. But you can bet on the fact that I am counting the days until we have our own house so I can host everyone and put together that Thanksgiving menu of my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment