Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Wednesday Night Chili

Remember this summer when I started my new job and I didn’t have enough to do. Yeah, those days are over. I laugh at those days.

Then I cry.

I’m only kidding. I’m mostly enjoying the fast pace at which I am currently working…except for days like tomorrow when I have meetings scheduled for 5 of my 8 hour workday (ha-- 8 hours is probably wishful thinking). Not only that but tomorrow is a Baltimore day which means I have to add at least 2.5 hours to my day for the commute AND to top it all off we are heading out of town for a wedding this weekend.

Much like my friend Stephanie, I tend to be more productive when my schedule is packed. Good thing since I have created a pretty large to-do list for myself tonight so I don’t have as much to tackle when I get home late tomorrow. In addition to pre-travel things like laundry and packing, this list also included making a pot of the easiest (and dare I say tastiest) vegetarian chili I’ve ever made.

This recipe comes from Cook’s Illustrated by way of Cheap Healthy Good and I highly recommend it for those of you who like bean-based chili with a healthy dose of spice (which comes from chopping up chipotles in adobo and adding it into the mix). It comes together pretty quickly and makes enough for two meals if you are like us and only cooking for two.

Guess what we're having for dinner tomorrow :P






Easy Vegetarian Chili
Adapted slightly from Cheap Healthy Good

Ingredients:
1 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
1 15 ounce can of black beans, drained
1 15 ounce can of kidney beans, drained
1 1/2 TBL minced chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
Salt and Pepper
1 onion, minced
2 TBL chili powder
3 teaspoons cumin
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups frozen corn
2 TBL chopped cilantro

1. Pour tomatoes and juices into a blender or food processor and pulse 4-5 times until chunky.
2. In a large saucepan, combine tomatoes, beans, chipotles, sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in another large saucepan or Dutch oven. Add onion, cumin, chili powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Stir and cook until onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
4. Pour tomato mixture into onion mixture, stirring to scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Drop heat and simmer for about 15 minutes (or longer if you are waiting for your friend/significant other/etc. get home from work). Stir occassionally.
5. When you are about 15 minutes away from servin

No comments:

Post a Comment