Saturday, April 10, 2010

The Power of Positive Thinking

It was bound to happen eventually, I guess. After weeks of almost constant travel, it finally caught up with me this week. It being stress, exhaustion, and a general sense of feeling burnt out.

I had had a long day. I was feeling a little frustrated by some developments at work, including a overall sense of being over-worked and under-appreciated. But the tipping point was when Jason told me he was going to have to work some this weekend. I have come to rely on my weekends so much over the last few weeks and with the specter of my having to leave early Monday morning for yet another (week-long this time) trip, it was quite a blow to think that we wouldn’t have the free and easy weekend together I had been counting on. 

I had a meltdown.  A big one.

It was the perfect storm of work frustrations, personal disappointment, and exhaustion. And it resulted in one of those crying-so-hard-and-talking-so-fast-meltdowns that Jason had no idea what I was saying over the phone and I woke up the next morning with a headache and puffy eyes.

I got home last night still feeling  a little bummed out.  But after a good night’s sleep in my own bed and the prospect of two work-free days ahead, I am feeling a little better this morning.  And I have some things to look forward to: dinner with friends tonight, a free day to explore Seattle later this week, and the knowledge that in 10 days all of this travel craziness will be over and I can get back to my regular routine.  If I focus on that, maybe, just maybe, I will make it through.

I think I can, I think I can…

No comments:

Post a Comment